Top 5 Ways to Improve Gut Health

The human body has trillions of microorganisms. It is what we know as the microbiota. 98% of these tiny tenants are bacteria, while the remaining 2% are yeasts, protozoa, and viruses. But these important critters, which live mainly in the large intestine, are essential for health and also to avoid intestinal transit problems.

It is essential to maintain gut health. Maintaining gut health means one needs to balance the microorganisms that live in the digestive tract. So, the key to caring for gut health, scientists say, is keeping those bacteria happy.

Here are some tips to keep your gut healthy.

1. Add Probiotics and Fermented Foods to Your Diet

Research suggests that consuming probiotics can help the gut microbiome, which eventually can prevent gut inflammation and problems with the intestine. Fermented foods are a rich source of probiotics. The benefits of fermented foods like kefir, plain yoghurt, fermented vegetables, and soy milk for gut health are also well known. Of course: avoid flavoured or sweetened yoghurts, as they contain a higher amount of sugar than is recommended.

2. Eat More Prebiotics 

So-called prebiotic foods are a good food source for certain groups of healthy gut bacteria. The artichoke, leek, and asparagus are rich in prebiotic ingredients, such as inulin, fructooligosaccharides, or galactooligosaccharides. Also, bananas, asparagus, whole grains, flax seeds, chia seeds, onion, and garlic are rich in prebiotics.

3. Choose Fibre and Whole Grains

If what we want is to take care of the intestine, it is convenient to opt for a diet rich in fibre, present in vegetables, legumes, and fruits. Some foods high in fibre are apples, blueberries, artichokes, lentils, beans, and chickpeas. Experts say that these foods can also reduce the growth of bacteria that are harmful to the intestine and, on the contrary, stimulate the growth of microorganisms that take care of intestinal health, such as bifidobacteria lactobacillus and other healthy species called bacteroidetes.

4. Keep Yourself Hydrated

In addition to eating well, do not neglect hydration, an essential habit to maintain the health of the intestine. To take care of gut health, we must not forget to maintain an adequate supply of fluids in water and foods with high water content.

5. Take Vigorous Walks

Despite following a diet rich in prebiotics and fibre, some people continue to have problems with intestinal transit. But it is that physical exercise is another key to taking care of health. It is not necessary to prepare marathons. A brisk walk for half an hour will increase the heart rate, which helps the blood in the digestive system to move and activate the hormones that regulate digestion. The key is to exercise regularly since sport speeds up colon transit and improves bowel function.

The Final Wrap

Maintaining gut health ensures overall health and improves the body’s immune function. You can make appropriate dietary and lifestyle changes to have improved gut health.

Similar Posts